Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hobby


For a long time, when Craig would ask me what my hobbies were, I would have difficulty answering. Music wasn't really a hobby, even though I love to play the flute and piano. During college, it became work, because it was my major. Then when I was teaching elementary music in school, it was still work. It is becoming more enjoyable again.


I can say now, that probably my favorite hobby is sewing. This is another skill that I didn't enjoy for a long time. My mom was a home-ec teacher and my 4-H leader resulting in hours at the sewing machine. She had an AMAZING sewing talent. I didn't have a boughten dress that I can really remember until I was in college. She made most of my clothes. I made a lot of them in 4-H too. I have many great memories of sitting at the sewing machine with her as well as many memories of arguments when things weren't going so well. As a result of her patience and time, with me at the sewing machine, I learned an invaluable skill and had some very special and unique opportunities in high school with things I had made.


Just in the last year or so, I have a renewed interest in this hobby. I am not making clothes this time. I did make a few things for Jack that he wore as a newborn. Today, it is actually cheaper to buy clothes, when you find good sales. I like to make the craftier things. I have even brainstormed a little bit about how I could make some extra money this way, but then remember that it may become more work and not as fun. So for now, it is my fun hobby! (Still pushing for a sewing room when we move to a different house.) This bib is one my latest projects.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did such a good job on that, Sara! It is so cute and such a neat keepsake for Harrison's first birthday. Thanks for sharing your talents! Amy

brenda mohr said...

I have a shirt that needs to be fixed. Want to take a look at it? (Yeah, I can't sew.)