Wednesday, September 20, 2006

AMNIO

My doctor finally called me at 6:00 last night. It felt like I had been waiting for weeks. She asked what we had decided and I told her we wanted to go early. She said that the next step then, is to be at the hospital Thursday morning at 7:30, and she will do the amniocentesis. She didn't say how long that takes and I didn't ask (a flute student was persistently ringing the doorbell.) She did say that they keep me for observation for a couple hours afterward while we wait for the results. The possible outcomes are: 1)the baby is fine and we just schedule the delivery for sometime in the next few days 2)the lungs aren't quite fully developed and they give me a steroid shot and we schedule the delivery for the next few days 3)she won't be able to get any amniotic fluid and we have to wait until 37 weeks. We are definitely praying for option 1 or 2. I'm a little nervous about the procedure. Craig is going to go with me. Hopefully we will have more news tomorrow.

I did ask if she had seen something of concern to mention this option last Friday. She said that she has had some other patients lately with weaker uteruses, and has done it both ways; waiting until 37 weeks or delivering at 36. She wanted us to make the decision. I mentioned to her living about 40-45 minutes from the hospital, was a major reason for our deciding to go early. She did make me feel a little better by saying she thought we were making a good decision.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

we'll be anxiously awaiting news.