Friday, September 15, 2006

Big Decision

I had my regular non-stress test this morning that I have been going to each Tuesday and Friday for the last few weeks. Today, my doctor was on call at the hospital and came in to talk with me. She doesn't usually have much time. Today she came in to let me go early because everything looked great. After she unhooked the monitor, she sat down on the bed. I started to get nervous right away. She said that she felt she had made a decision for us and wanted to let me know about some risks and other options. She said that waiting until 37 weeks for a C-section does increase the risk somewhat, of me going into labor on my own and my uterus rupturing. She said that it's not very likely to happen, but it could happen and it would be horrible if it did. It could mean losing the baby, not being able to have more children, and other very serious problems for me. She said that I needed to talk it over with my husband and she would call me.

She said that she could do an amniocentesis next week to see how developed the baby's lungs are. If they aren't fully developed, she would give me a steroid and deliver the baby at 36 weeks if we decided to do this. That would be sometime around the 25th of September. While she was talking, I was having a difficult time hearing all of it. It just caught me off guard. I'm not sure why I was just hearing about this today. When she calls I will ask her why.

Anyway, we have an important decision to make. I think we are leaning toward having the baby early to eliminate any possible disasters. I just won't be as ready as I had planned. I was planning on having a week at home before the baby came to finish getting organized, running errands, and cleaning. I won't have that time now. Craig had just said the other day, he feels he has observed God preparing me for something. He has definitely been asking me to be tough and very flexible. Today just adds to these thoughts. We would appreciate prayer this next week as we make our decision.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

we will be praying for you, craig and the baby and the big decision you need to make.
thinking of you....